Monday, August 10, 2009

Star Wars Party

These week I will be posting some party ideas, lots of party ideas actually. The question I get asked most often is "How do you come up with all of these ideas?" so I decided to share some insight as to how the party planning process works in my brain. scary thought I know.

First up is Star Wars. We did this party yesterday for my son's 6th birthday. We have this thing for dressing up for parties, I don't know why but we sure love it and the guests love it and most of them are more than willing to participate too!

We played a few games. I pinned a small clothespin to each person and then told them not to say the word "lightsaber" if they did then someone could take their clip. The adults would say it on purpose of course and all the kids would come running to take their clips. The person with the most clips at the end of the party wins a prize. Lots of fun.

Then we played Star Wars charades. We split into 2 teams, had the adults act out the Star Wars word and the kids had to guess, well the adults ended up guessing too because some of them were hard, then the kids wanted to act them out. Lots of fun too oh and did I mention FREE!

The other activity we did was "make your own lightsaber". I have a picture of that so I will tell you about it in just a bit.....meanwhile enjoy some pictures.....

**magnetic letters that are always on the fridge**



**treat bags w/Princess Leia cinnamon buns, Darth malt balls, sucker, tattoo and lemonheads

**R2D2 that my mother in law fashioned from a trash can and bowl, both of which I found at Goodwill and the arms are made of linguine boxes**
**I think balloons always add a lot of punch for a little money, I just tied them to my son's Star Wars toys**

**Homemade cake with toy decorations. very easy to use what you have around the house on your cake. and the squirt bottles of icing come in really handy for decorating. and sprinkles makes everything better. I decided not to add any wording to the cake - I think I would have really messed that up! leave well enough alone, right?!
**wire basket tower that my son spotted at Goodwill and told me we could put his cupcakes on it, great idea! I found packages of Star Wars thumb wrestlers at Party City and thought they would be perfect cupcake toppers. no need to put one on every single cupcake, just enough for each child.

**Death Star Doritos**

**Asteroids which were actually GIANT cheeseballs and these metal signs come in handy for labels or they can hold pictures. You can buy them at alot of specialty home decor stores

**Yoda Soda

**Wookie Cookies
**We also had Padme Pizza and pretzels

**Poster of planets that I got from Michaels and used on the front door then added a sign
**You are here (on the sun ~ er in Arizona, same difference)
**turned our empty frame wall into a Star Wars gallery and exchanged our family pictures for Star Wars characters, very funny. I just printed the pictures off the internet


**I turned jars that I always have on the coffee table into terrariums with little Star Wars characters. I saw this idea on Flickr

**Now lets introduce some of the characters....
Queen Amadala, this is a friend of mine
**and mini Queen Amadala (my daughter)

**from left to right Asoka, yoda & C3PO. Asoka's outfit I found at a thrift store, purchased new tights and dyed them light blue. Her headdress I purchased online. Yoda's robe came from Goodwill and we dyed it brown. I made the headpiece from some green fabric. C3PO's costume I made from gold lame' fabric, one of my son's costume belts and purchased the mask online.

**Darth Vader
A friend of ours borrowed my son's mask and I believe made the cape from a skirt, very clever!

**Make your own lightsaber. I used the cardboard rolls from wrapping paper, inserted 5 gallon stir sticks which are extra long, Home Depot gave them to us, wrapped the whole thing in tin foil then covered with red, blue or green cellophane. It gave them a really shiny effect.

**Clone Trooper

**Princess Leia. I made this costume from a top and skirt I found at a thrift store and sewed the 2 together to make a dress, used a belt I already had and some boots. My hair happens to be long enough to make the cinnamon buns! Oh and I spray painted one of my son's toy guns black to complete the ensemble.

**Chewbacca's costume made from some furry fabric, a belt that my son had and a purse that my daughter had. The mask was purchased online.
May the force be with you

1 comment:

  1. You are the best party planner I know. I can't wait for you to do my 40th birthday party!!:)
    hint, hint:)

    ReplyDelete