Friday, March 27, 2009

Tie-dyed slips

Seriously, this project could not be any easier! I blogged about this a few days ago and it was so simple to do. Taking a vintage slip, tye-dying it and adding a vintage pin. Whalla! (is that how you spell that?). Now I want to make 10 more, as soon as my husband comes home I am off to the store to buy more RIT dye. Here it is in a nutshell:
  1. Buy slip (I found this for $1.99) at my favorite thrift store
  2. Buy RIT dye. I suppose you could use the powder or liquid, but the powder is cheaper. This color is actually navy (because I already had it), but it looks kind of purple.
  3. Old fashioned tie-dying, get some rubberbands and randomly put them on. Where you put the rubberbands is where the light spots end up.
  4. Let dry, iron the wrinkles out
  5. Wear with a tank underneath - highly recommended because if I didn't have the tank underneath the weight of the pin would tip the shirt over if you know what I'm sayin...so pin through both shirt thicknesses.
(By the way I did not come up with this idea. I think the first place I saw it was junk2jewels.typepad.com)

1 comment: